Did you know that you can cook brats in an air fryer?
Air fryers have become useful pieces of kitchen equipment over the past few years, and you can use them to cook up plump and juicy brats in no time at all!
This recipe is perfect if you need a quick evening meal for the kids, or a tasty snack to enjoy while watching the football. All you need is a pack of precooked brats and ten minutes.
Here is the recipe, as well as some of the questions we are frequently asked about cooking brats in an air fryer.
- 1 Air Fryer Brats Recipe
- 2 Important Things When Cooking Brats In The Air Fryer
- 2.1 How Long Does It Take To Cook Brats In An Air Fryer?
- 2.2 Do You Need To Boil The Brats Beforehand?
- 2.3 What Temperature Do You Air Fry Brats At?
- 2.4 How Many Brats Can You Cook In An Air Fryer At A Time?
- 2.5 How Can You Tell If The Brats Are Cooked Through?
- 2.6 Can You Cook Frozen Brats In An Air Fryer?
- 3 Other Useful Tips For Air Frying Brats
Air Fryer Brats Recipe
Ingredients: One pack of precooked brats (if your brats are frozen or not precooked, extend the cooking time by five minutes)
- Place the brats in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Don’t pierce the brats before cooking as this will cause them to dry out.
- Put the basket into the fryer.
- Cook at 350°F (180°C) for seven minutes. Flip the brats over and cook for another three minutes (or longer if needed).
- Remove brats from the air fryer and let them rest for five minutes
- Serve in buns with the toppings of your choice.
Important Things When Cooking Brats In The Air Fryer
How Long Does It Take To Cook Brats In An Air Fryer?
If you have precooked brats on hand, it takes about 10 minutes to cook them in the air fryer.
Different air fryers and different brands of brats do cook differently, so it may take a little less or more time to cook up a perfectly juicy brat.
We recommend checking your brats after seven minutes to see how they are cooking and to flip them over, so they cook evenly. You can then add extra time if needed.
Remember that you can cook your brats for longer if needed, but you can’t uncook them!
Do You Need To Boil The Brats Beforehand?
No – although this recipe uses precooked brats, you can cook them from raw if you are short on time or want to save on the washing up.
If you want to use uncooked brats, add an extra five minutes to the cooking time (so 15 minutes).
What Temperature Do You Air Fry Brats At?
We recommend you air fry your brats at 350°F (180°C).
That way you will ensure that your brats are cooked inside and out, without drying out.
How Many Brats Can You Cook In An Air Fryer At A Time?
It depends on the size of your air fryer. When you cook, you need to ensure your brats are in a single layer. Otherwise, they may not be thoroughly cooked or have that lovely crispy brown outside.
If you have lots of brats to cook, do them in batches.
How Can You Tell If The Brats Are Cooked Through?
When cooking brats, you want to make sure they are thoroughly cooked inside and out.
The internal temperature of a completely cooked brat should be 160°F (70°C).
You can find out the internal temperature of your brat by using a meat thermometer. Just stick the prong in the center of your brat. If the temperature is above 160°F (70°C), you’re ready to eat!
If it is lower, put your brats back in the air fryer for a couple of extra minutes.
And if you don’t have a meat thermometer, simply cut open one of your brats and take a look inside. Your brat should be cooked through with no pink, and the center should be hot to the touch.
Can You Cook Frozen Brats In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can – just add an extra five minutes to the cooking time and check that the brats are cooked all the way through before you dig in.
If your brats are frozen together, you’ll need to separate them while cooking, so they cook evenly.
Other Useful Tips For Air Frying Brats
- Did you know that you can toast your brat buns in the air fryer too? Once you’ve cooked your brats, put them to one side and keep them warm. Set your air fryer to 400℉ (200℃) and cook your buns for two minutes
- If you want some delicious toppings with your brats, why not cook some onions at the same time? Spray a piece of cooking foil with oil and add some sliced white onions. Fold the foil into a little packet, put it In the air fryer and give it a five-minute head start on your brats. You’ll then have some delicious cooked onions!
- Turn your brats into beer brats by boiling them in your favorite beer or lager for 10 minutes before you cook them in the air fryer. This adds a lovely smoky, mellow flavor and makes the brat casings less likely to split when cooking.
Simple and delicious. Enjoy! (Check out the best side dishes for brats)